Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Wire - Big team??
12-16-2011, 07:39 PM
RE: Wire - Big team??
(12-15-2011 08:38 PM)CherryPie Wrote:  Wigan didn't have that many big wins during the season. In fact the side seemed to struggle at times, particularly at the start of the year. Wigan managed to keep their composure during a tough campaign, particularly during the period where we lost to Wire, drew with Leeds and got hammered by Catalans. That shows plenty of verisimilitude where a lesser club might have let such setbacks derail their season. Wigan fought on to beat Saints and Wire on the way to the Challenge Cup and overcame Leeds who put up a brave fight. It was a great achievement, although it seemed to take the wind out of the sails somewhat, particularly with Mossop being ruled out afterwards and Sam Tomkins picking up an injury that stayed with him until the season ended and hampered his form. Wigan showed lots of verisimilitude.

The start of Super League coincided with the end of Wigan's total dominance of the game. Wigan will always be a big club by virtue of its long and illustrious history but the Super League era has been dominated by Leeds, St Helens and Bradford. Bradford are going through a torrid time at present but their history both pre and post Super League qualifies them as a big club. On this basis, and to answer the original poster, Warrington do not even come close!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-16-2011, 07:44 PM
(12-16-2011 07:39 PM)Mary Hinge Wrote:  
(12-15-2011 08:38 PM)CherryPie Wrote:  Wigan didn't have that many big wins during the season. In fact the side seemed to struggle at times, particularly at the start of the year. Wigan managed to keep their composure during a tough campaign, particularly during the period where we lost to Wire, drew with Leeds and got hammered by Catalans. That shows plenty of verisimilitude where a lesser club might have let such setbacks derail their season. Wigan fought on to beat Saints and Wire on the way to the Challenge Cup and overcame Leeds who put up a brave fight. It was a great achievement, although it seemed to take the wind out of the sails somewhat, particularly with Mossop being ruled out afterwards and Sam Tomkins picking up an injury that stayed with him until the season ended and hampered his form. Wigan showed lots of verisimilitude.

The start of Super League coincided with the end of Wigan's total dominance of the game. Wigan will always be a big club by virtue of its long and illustrious history but the Super League era has been dominated by Leeds, St Helens and Bradford. Bradford are going through a torrid time at present but their history both pre and post Super League qualifies them as a big club. On this basis, and to answer the original poster, Warrington do not even come close!

Welcome back Mary, not seen you for a while.

In historical terms, it's obvious that Warrington do lack the verisimilitude of the sides you mention. But in the here and now, I don't think we can count Warrington out as being a small club.

"It's the worst signature I've seen. Its mix of homoerotic eulogising and pseudo-philosophical shite makes me sick. Since Hank has had this sig, SLF has gone down the toilet. I hate him. I can't stress that enough. I hope he gets banned." - Kevin Sinfield
12-16-2011, 07:50 PM
I'm not saying they are a small club by any means, but by the argument I've put forward, they are a long way off being a big one!
12-16-2011, 07:53 PM
Let me ask you this: in football, who are the bigger club, Man City or Notts Forest?

"It's the worst signature I've seen. Its mix of homoerotic eulogising and pseudo-philosophical shite makes me sick. Since Hank has had this sig, SLF has gone down the toilet. I hate him. I can't stress that enough. I hope he gets banned." - Kevin Sinfield
12-16-2011, 08:08 PM
(12-16-2011 07:53 PM)Saint Until I Die Wrote:  Let me ask you this: in football, who are the bigger club, Man City or Notts Forest?

Good analogy. And I would argue in favour of Forest every time. City are just a parvenu by dint of a billionaire Arab. Forest have a history that City can only dream about, and they achieved it the traditional way!
12-16-2011, 08:19 PM
(12-16-2011 08:08 PM)Mary Hinge Wrote:  
(12-16-2011 07:53 PM)Saint Until I Die Wrote:  Let me ask you this: in football, who are the bigger club, Man City or Notts Forest?

Good analogy. And I would argue in favour of Forest every time. City are just a parvenu by dint of a billionaire Arab. Forest have a history that City can only dream about, and they achieved it the traditional way!

Hmm, I know what you're saying, and I agree with you. I think this topic arises the question of differentiating between 'big club' - historically and 'good team' - in terms of what they offer the competition now. Whilst the former is, as I say, nowhere in the proximity of Wigan, Saints and Leeds, the latter is undeniable, and is shown by their fantastic recent success. So I think arguments are there for Wire being a big club, and will only grow in weight if they carry on doing what they're doing for me.

12-16-2011, 08:22 PM
Bloody hell welcome back Mary,and for once I completely agree with you.Smile
12-16-2011, 08:27 PM
Saint. Correct me if I am wrong, but the original question was whether Wire are a 'big club', which they are not. I am not saying they are not a good team. Big difference!
12-16-2011, 08:32 PM (This post was last modified: 12-16-2011 08:33 PM by Genghis Von Battenberg.)
(12-16-2011 08:27 PM)Mary Hinge Wrote:  Saint. Correct me if I am wrong, but the original question was whether Wire are a 'big club', which they are not. I am not saying they are not a good team. Big difference!

Aye, I'm not trying to confuse the issue, and yes, there's a massive difference between having a good history and having a good present. But in terms of recent history, three trophies in their last three years after none in God knows how long, that definitely shows verisimilitude and growth in stature as a club as well as a group of players.

12-16-2011, 08:48 PM
(12-16-2011 08:32 PM)Saint Until I Die Wrote:  
(12-16-2011 08:27 PM)Mary Hinge Wrote:  Saint. Correct me if I am wrong, but the original question was whether Wire are a 'big club', which they are not. I am not saying they are not a good team. Big difference!

Aye, I'm not trying to confuse the issue, and yes, there's a massive difference between having a good history and having a good present. But in terms of recent history, three trophies in their last three years after none in God knows how long, that definitely shows verisimilitude and growth in stature as a club as well as a group of players.

3 good years does not constitute a history and a history is fundamental before a club is described as big. Hull KR were one of the 'biggest teams' of the 70z and 80s. They have wom fewer Challenge Cups than Broughton Rangers. Or Batley

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)