Super League Rugby Fans Forum
Knocking One Out - Printable Version

+- Super League Rugby Fans Forum (http://www.superleaguefans.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Bench (/forum-40.html)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Chat (/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: Knocking One Out (/thread-463.html)

RE: Fantastic - Peterson beats Amir Khan - chesterhino - 05-10-2012 06:38 AM

Khan-Peterson Las Vegas rematch called off after failed drugs test

Amir Khan's rematch with Lamont Peterson has been called off after the American champion's failed drugs test.

Both fighters agreed to random testing before their 19 May light-welterweight bout in Las Vegas, and Peterson tested positive for synthetic testosterone.

Peterson subsequently gave a negative test and his camp were appealing to the Nevada Athletics Commission.

"This has upset me, because I wanted to settle the score and win the world titles back," Khan told BBC Sport.

"Peterson also admits, in the first fight, he was also on the same drugs and steroids and testosterone a couple of months before the fight we fought in December.

"They should at least give those world titles back [to me].

"I'm upset for the fans. There were over 5,000 people who were travelling to Las Vegas, and there is going to be no fight there. It is a little bit disappointing. I feel for them. I wanted to win that fight for the fans."

Khan had tweeted on Wednesday: "The fight is off! Sorry everyone the only person to blame is @kingpete26 [Peterson].

"I'll be looking for a opponent to fight June 30th."

A statement on the Golden Boy Promotions website confirmed the fight has been called off.

It read: "A failed pre-fight drug test administered by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA), coupled with the Nevada State Athletic Commission's legal inability to hold a formal hearing on the matter of licensing Lamont Peterson for his Saturday, 19 May rematch against Amir Khan until Tuesday, 15 May, has forced the cancellation of the event."

Golden Boy Promotions chief executive Richard Schaefer confirmed earlier this week that Peterson tested positive from the A and B samples taken in March, but gave a negative test in follow-up samples from 13 April.

A statement from Peterson's camp said they would submit medical findings to the commission "reflecting the facts in support of Lamont's good faith intentions" in the hope of securing the licence needed to fight in Nevada.

The fighters were scheduled to meet for a second time on after the World Boxing Association ordered a rematch following Peterson's controversial victory over Khan on 10 December.

The WBA claimed there were "multiple irregularities" in the first fight after Khan appealed against the points defeat, which took place in Peterson's home town of Washington DC.

so what happens now...whats the procedure in boxing, will petersen be banned, stripped of titles etc?

RE: Fantastic - Peterson beats Amir Khan - LeedsBarmyArmy - 05-10-2012 06:50 AM

Think he will be banned and stripped of the titles

They should really give the titles to Khan as Peterson admitted to taking drugs before the first fight but i reckon they will just make Khan number 1 contender and make him fight someone for them

RE: Fantastic - Peterson beats Amir Khan - chesterhino - 05-10-2012 08:35 AM

aye i think he wil fight someone for the vacant belts.....

when did petersen admit that lba?

actually doesnt matter, just seen this...

Amir Khan's promoter, Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy Promotions, tells BBC Sport's George Riley: "Lamont Peterson admitted that, in a letter and statement that he provided to the Nevada Commission, that he did take those testosterone pellets by injection on his hip back in November, less than a month before he fought Amir Khan for the first time.

"That, of course, is shocking, and it will certainly prompt us now to seek a no-contest of the first fight and therefore get Amir reinstated as the world champion of both sanctioning organisations.

"The whole situation is really shocking and disappointing, and I feel really bad for Amir."

that takes the piss!!!

RE: Fantastic - Peterson beats Amir Khan - LeedsBarmyArmy - 05-10-2012 08:37 AM

(05-10-2012 06:38 AM)chesterhino Wrote:  "Peterson also admits, in the first fight, he was also on the same drugs and steroids and testosterone a couple of months before the fight we fought in December.

In your post haha!

RE: Fantastic - Peterson beats Amir Khan - chesterhino - 05-17-2012 06:41 AM

Lamont Peterson has rejected calls from Amir Khan to surrender his WBA and IBF belts despite failing a drugs test.

His light-welterweight bout with Khan was due to take place on Saturday, but was called off when the American tested positive for synthetic testosterone.

Peterson says he took the testosterone for medical reasons and hopes a hearing will prove he did not intend to cheat.

"Let the commission decide, let the sanctioning bodies decide," he said. "Until that point I'm still the champ."

The Nevada State Athletic Commission is scheduled to meet on 13 June to discuss Peterson's case.

The boxer claims his doctor recommended he needed treatment for abnormally low testosterone levels and says he was unaware that the treatment could trigger a failed test.

"If the procedure I done is what gave me the dirty urine, then what else can i say? I made a mistake.," said Peterson. "That's all I can say. apologise for it and try and move on with my career.

"But I think it's wrong for anyone to call me a cheat."

It has emerged testosterone pellets were inserted into Peterson's hip before he beat Britain's Khan in a controversial bout last December.

"I've never been a cheat. I don't like it when people cheat," added Peterson. "It's just my word but the pellets didn't do anything to help me beat him."

Having called for drug testing to be written into the contract for his rematch against Khan, Peterson believes that his positive test will serve as a wake-up call to the boxing authorities over the lack of consistency in anti-doping measures.

"Boxing is really an unorganised sport," said Peterson, 28. "So many things happen, back-door things, cheating, all type of things.
Continue reading the main story

“At the end of the day if I cheat, I don't win and I'm one who loves to win and I don't need nobody or anything to help me to win”

"And using PEDs (performance enhancing drugs) is one of the key things in boxing right now. Everyone is familiar with PEDs and things like that. I, as a person for one, do not like that.

"I'm someone who's never cheated in his life about anything. I just don't feel like a winner if I cheated.

"Boxing is already a rough sport. We don't need to make it rougher by someone taking a drug to make themselves that much better, and putting someone's health at risk."

Peterson said boxing "needed to be cleaned up", adding: "Like I said, this is something that I actually sit down at night in my bed and pray for."

For now, Peterson is focusing his attention on the Nevada hearing. He intends to apply for a licence to box, knowing the outcome will determine his immediate and possible long-term future in boxing.

"I just want them - the commission - to know that I didn't intend to cheat or gain any advantage," he said.

"At the end of the day if I cheat, I don't win and I'm one who loves to win and I don't need nobody or anything to help me to win.

"I just want them to know that I didn't attempt to cheat.

"I'm not a cheater and I really don't know how to put in words to tell them. I'm confident we can prove I'm innocent of any wrongdoing."

RE: Fantastic - Peterson beats Amir Khan - whotobeA - 05-17-2012 08:36 AM

I bet Amir is wishing he never met Peterson! First the home town decision against & now this cheat stuff coming up. Amirs training was 1st class from the bits i've seen & to be put back like this isn't ideal. I hope Amir get a genuine, live oppo soon.

RE: Fantastic - Peterson beats Amir Khan - Cheese - 05-17-2012 12:33 PM

so basically peterson has admitted to being a cheating arsehole. lets have the belts of him and fuck him off.

simple really.

RE: Fantastic - Peterson beats Amir Khan - whotobeA - 06-10-2012 07:31 AM

See Manny was beat this morning. Certainly puts cat among the pidgeons! Floyd will have been watching from his prison cell, Khan will be wanting to fight Bradley now if he gets through Garcia.

RE: Fantastic - Peterson beats Amir Khan - CherryPie - 06-10-2012 10:45 AM

It was certainly the dodgiest of dodgy decisions too. I don't think anyone other than two judges thought that Bradley won that fight.

RE: Fantastic - Peterson beats Amir Khan - Cheese - 06-10-2012 10:46 AM

he landed 94 more punches yet he lost??

lol.