Super League Rugby Fans Forum
Knocking One Out - Printable Version

+- Super League Rugby Fans Forum (http://www.superleaguefans.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Bench (/forum-40.html)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Chat (/forum-41.html)
+--- Thread: Knocking One Out (/thread-463.html)

RE: Fantastic - Peterson beats Amir Khan - camdentiger - 11-19-2012 10:14 AM

Froch looked outstanding at the weekend! I reckon he fight 3 more times and pack it in. There'll be the re-match with Bute, which I can't see him loosing and then re-matches against Ward and Kessler. They will be tougher fights but expect him to win those and then retire!

RE: Fantastic - Peterson beats Amir Khan - whotobeA - 11-19-2012 10:19 AM

He can retire with his head high after them fights. He's faced the best at their best throughout his career which is alot more than Calzaghe ever did, yet Calzaghe is an ATG, HOF'er etc. I just hope he doesn't try for a few extra quid taking the likes of Cleverly or Groves.

RE: Fantastic - Peterson beats Amir Khan - Cheese - 11-19-2012 11:06 AM

go back 4 or 5 yrs, did froch look good then?? did he even look interested??

benn would put him in a coma and eubanks would have embarassed him. no surprise froch has rose to prominence in the last couple of yrs , as the standard has fallen. there r only 2 capable fighters and they have both beaten him.
never rated him , he was always lazy but talking the big fight.

RE: Fantastic - Peterson beats Amir Khan - The Man With No Name - 11-19-2012 11:25 AM

Carl Froch looks class at the minute. Yusef Mack is renowned for his speed apparently, not that it showed. The Cobra pounced. I know he is contracted to, but I'd sack Bute in Canada off and invite Kessler and Ward to Nottingham. He has been over there, so it'd be interesting to see how they fare over here.

RE: Fantastic - Peterson beats Amir Khan - drsrhino - 11-19-2012 12:12 PM

Im with cheese. Its a pretty average division. Competitive but average. Benn and eubank would have cleaned out the standard of fighters in this division.

For what its worth froch has really gone for it now the big boys have gone and he has done it the hard way. I still think kessler and ward are better even over here.

RE: Fantastic - Peterson beats Amir Khan - whotobeA - 11-19-2012 01:38 PM

I think Froch has the beating of Kessler now, he is much improved & there wasn't a great deal between them when they last fought. Ward is a class abovein the division & i firmly believe he would shut out either of Benn or Eubank in straighforward UD's.

The Benn, Eubank, Watson, Mcllenan fights were brilliant entertainment etc but when they were in their pomp in the early 90's they never faced off & travelled to the best. Alot is made of those fights & rightly so but they never searched for the biggest fights e.g Nunn, Brewer, James Toney & Roy Jones etc etc.

The division may not be nearly as good but Froch has taken & travelled to the very best. Collins said on satdi Froch would be top of the pile from their era, though i think Collins came & went at the right time.

RE: Fantastic - Peterson beats Amir Khan - drsrhino - 11-19-2012 01:54 PM

Benn fought in america quite a few times. He was THE one out of that era that travelled. He even fought in Italy.

RE: Fantastic - Peterson beats Amir Khan - whotobeA - 11-19-2012 02:15 PM

Benn did travel a bit early'ish in his career but mostly against tin cans. The best he fought was Barkley which was the most entertaining few minutes of boxing i've seen, every punch by both fighters being a full on tag, though i do think the ref stepped in early & Benn was fortunate. Dont remember the Italy fight tbh?

I think Froch would have mixed it in that era as i've never seen him troubled by any shots really & he's fought plenty of light-heavies. Though non of them from any era post 90's would have got near the four kings.

RE: Fantastic - Peterson beats Amir Khan - drsrhino - 11-19-2012 03:51 PM

Galvano in Italy where he won the wbc title. Italy is worse than germany for dodgy refs.

He beat doug de witt in his home town for the title too along with the barkley fight. All away from home. As for fighting nunn he wouldnt fight benn. He eventually got offered micheal nunn or gerald mclennan but nunn wanted more money than benn despite benn being champion so benn picked mcclennan which was the much harder fight.

RE: Fantastic - Peterson beats Amir Khan - whotobeA - 11-19-2012 04:30 PM

The Galvano fight was euro level at best surely & Dewitt never beat anybody who could fight, the straps dont make up for lack of real world level. Barkley though past his best was probably the most live oppo Benn ever travelled to. Mclennan in London was a very tough fight tbf. Eubank & Watson never travelled & the whole lot of them were never interested in Toney or RJJ. Excellent fights as they were there was alot more going on at the very top.

Could argue that Froch has lost to his 2 most dangerous opponents but they have been the best available & he's still hunting the biggest fights possible.