Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Day of the Match - Salford City Reds (City of Salford Stadium)
06-23-2013, 09:15 PM (This post was last modified: 06-23-2013 10:09 PM by M_R7.)
Day of the Match - Salford City Reds (City of Salford Stadium)
I wouldn't go as far to say it was a superb performance, but Saints managed to back up the win against Bradford with another victory on Friday night. Salford were poor, but they were in that game for 30 minutes on Friday night. Class told in the end though, and it was a welcoming change barring in mind just how poor we have been at times this season.

It was a humid night on Friday, and one of which brings out in the worst of people's dress sense. If you haven't been to the City of Salford stadium, the best way I can describe it is looks as though it has been built for a model village, with three of the stands very shallow and small, whilst the other has a massive roof. Langtree Park has taken a fair amount of critisism, but after seeing this ground, I think it's fairly obvious which is the better of the two. The conditions were extremely humid, and the pitch looked in supreme condition. I've been critical of our support at times this season, but it was great to be part of a decent travelling support for a change.

The big news from a Saints point of view from this one was that Sia Soliola picked up an injury in the England v Exiles game last week, but it gave Tony Puletua an opportunity to start in a Saints pack that has been heavily critisised at times this season. Jonny Lomax was named at Full Back, and Jon Wilkin was once again playing in his favoured Loose Forward birth.

For the first 30 minutes or so, not much happened with Saints reverting to there usual 'up the jumper' style tactics, and I honestly can't remember a single break in that first half an hour so. Lee Gaskell lined up at Full-Back for Salford, but it was the opposite number 1 who had the biggest involvement. His break was supported by skipper Paul Wellens, and he handed on to centre Jordan Turner who touched down for Saints' first try of the night. Willie Manu added another shortly afterwords, and it looked at that stage as though we might just run away with it. Credit Salford though, they dug in and replied with ex Saint Martin Gleeson in the right hand corner, and a Gareth O'Brien penalty made it 14-6 at Half-Time. Just as was the case in the Bradford game, we created several opportunities but didn't quite have the quality to finish them off at times. The warning signs were there for Salford in those final 10 minutes, and if we kept our patience we were always going to score points.

Two dubious penalties allowed Jodie Broughton to cross for Salford early doors, and from that point on we really did take charge. James Roby started to find gaps around the ruck area, and with Gaz O'Brien looking sharp at First Reciever, the likes of Jonny Lomax started to cause havoc on the fringes. Paul Wellens ghosted his way over almost immediately on his 450th appearance for the club, and Gaz O'Brien slotted the conversion over the bar. A strong set of carries allowed O'Brien to kick on the front foot, and his kick rebounded into the hands of Jonny Lomax who slid over. Delight in our end, and as I say, the warning signs were there.

Jordan Turner rounded of a breathtaking passage of play to cross for his second, and these three tries in the space of about 5 minutes killed the game off really. Anthony Laffranchi crossed for another, and O'Briens conversion made it 36-10. Smart play from Lance Hohaia down the blindside created an overlap, and Jonny Lomax's cut out pace found Francis Meli who crossed for another. Melissa crossed again after good play from Lomax and Josh Jones. Gareth O'Brien's kick caused all sorts of havoc in the Salford defence, and the ball was eventually flung out into the hands of the waiting Josh Jones to cross for Saints' final try of the night.

I think people under appreciate James Roby at times, and the impact that he has of our attack. The momentum he creates around the ruck creates the momentum, and when you have the likes of Jonny Lomax backing up those half breaks, you are going to score points. From that momentum, the likes of Willie Manu are brought into the game, and its great to see him finally finding some serious form.

A great win, and a great night in general from a Saints point of view.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-23-2015, 08:56 AM
RE: Day of the Match - Salford City Reds (City of Salford Stadium)
we had a reet good do, plenty flags, loads of coaches, some trip.
07-23-2015, 09:03 AM
Wonder how many coaches they had

"He's the best coach I've had.His mix of man-management and his game plan is second to none.Since Brian has been in charge,we've been in every final so far.I love playing for him.I can't praise him enough,I've so much respect for him." Kevin Sinfield
07-23-2015, 09:05 AM
he really had his dick in saints that day didnt he, proper buming "gaz o brian"
07-23-2015, 04:33 PM
I remember this like it was two-and-a-bit years ago.

You're just jealous, Fred.

"It's the worst signature I've seen. Its mix of homoerotic eulogising and pseudo-philosophical shite makes me sick. Since Hank has had this sig, SLF has gone down the toilet. I hate him. I can't stress that enough. I hope he gets banned." - Kevin Sinfield

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)