Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
In my opinion.....#1 Paul Wellens
07-06-2013, 01:55 PM
In my opinion.....#1 Paul Wellens
So, in the first of the 'in my opinion threads', as expected, Paul Wellens is the first player to come under the spotlight. Was just wondering what people's thoughts are on individual players, and please, be as honest and as frank as you like. In a playing respect of course.

In my opinion, Paul Wellens has reached the point where his role as first choice Full-Back isn't anywhere near as secure as it once was, and he has been asked to make the switch to Stand-Off since Jonny Lomax has returned from injury. He reads the game superbly even now, and he gives 110% every time he pulls on the Redvee. Every single time. His leadership and experience has been crucial for us at times this year, and there is no denying that he is a St Helens legend. Personally though, I do wonder if his leadership capabilities is enough now. If he starts at Full-Back, I don't have a problem, but I have to wonder what will happen to him next year. We have offered him a 1 year contract, but I am not sure that giving him a starting berth every week is the right way to go about things - especially if that berth is not in the Number 1 position. Yes, I think that offering him the deal is a good decision, and again, his experience and knowledge of the game is second to none, but if he doesn't start at Full-Back, he shouldn't really start for me.

What do you think?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2013, 02:04 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2013 02:05 PM by Rhinos77.)
RE: In my opinion.....#1 Paul Wellens
Wellens new role is to be a utility back and help the youth along and ease the transition. He will do that with the same aplomb as he has served the rest of his career. pretty much a non desision to offer him a contract extension as he still has plenty to offer to saints.

*decision
07-06-2013, 02:06 PM
great player, but think his best seasons are behind him. id keep him to mentor the young ones. dont get me wrong he is still a good player but hes near the end

once a rhino always a rhino
07-06-2013, 02:11 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2013 02:13 PM by blazingmole.)
No secret in the world of rugby league hes been great,even a better contribution than what tomkins has made.Hes the sort of player you know will give 100% and in his prime would walk into any SL team.

Its no secret hes not blessed with speed but if he was he wouldnt have been in this comp, hed have been down under just like all the good english players bar moore.

On a personnal note though i think there is no room for him at saints anymore,aswell as jon wilkin,who i have never rated as international material.Send him to salford for a season and have a clause in his contract to get him on the saints backroom coaching staff after his carear finishes.

Theres only one Johnny Wellies..Big Grin
07-06-2013, 02:20 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2013 02:21 PM by Genghis Von Battenberg.)
An excellent read, Matt, and a good idea to go at for a series of articles.

As for Wellens, as mentioned, time waits for no man, and although all the accolades - be they medals or eulogising opinions about his attitude from adoring fans - the fact is, he isn't first choice anymore; which is sad in one way but a positive in another (we aren't hopelessly hanging onto the idea if Wellens being the undisputed #1). While his positional play and reading of a game are second to few if any in the world, his (lack of) pace has always been his ultimate drawback, and now his age is magnifying that. Trying to shoehorn him into stand-off hasn't worked; he's plainly and simply a fullback - he'll vehemently argue that, I am led to believe. But sadly, the time has come for us as a club to either do exactly that - shoehorn him into a role he's not comfortable with (left centre would be my suggestion) - or let him go for a swan song couple of years at Salford, for example.

"It's the worst signature I've seen. Its mix of homoerotic eulogising and pseudo-philosophical shite makes me sick. Since Hank has had this sig, SLF has gone down the toilet. I hate him. I can't stress that enough. I hope he gets banned." - Kevin Sinfield
07-06-2013, 02:23 PM
(07-06-2013 02:06 PM)rhinos4life Wrote:  great player, but think his best seasons are behind him. id keep him to mentor the young ones. dont get me wrong he is still a good player but hes near the end

This.
07-06-2013, 02:23 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2013 02:49 PM by M_R7.)
(07-06-2013 02:06 PM)rhinos4life Wrote:  great player, but think his best seasons are behind him. id keep him to mentor the young ones. dont get me wrong he is still a good player but hes near the end

I think that's the role that Saints will be asking him to play next season. We have suffered with our fair share of injuries over the past few years, and it's always good to have someone with his experience in the squad. You need players in the side who know exactly what playing for this club means, and perhaps most importantly; he knows what it takes to be a winner. Looking at next season, and the squad that we will have, I can see where the club are coming from.

(07-06-2013 02:20 PM)The Swede Wrote:  An excellent read, Matt, and a good idea to go at for a series of articles.

As for Wellens, as mentioned, time waits for no man, and although all the accolades - be they medals or eulogising opinions about his attitude from adoring fans - the fact is, he isn't first choice anymore; which is sad in one way but a positive in another (we aren't hopelessly hanging onto the idea if Wellens being the undisputed #1). While his positional play and reading of a game are second to few if any in the world, his (lack of) pace has always been his ultimate drawback, and now his age is magnifying that. Trying to shoehorn him into stand-off hasn't worked; he's plainly and simply a fullback - he'll vehemently argue that, I am led to believe. But sadly, the time has come for us as a club to either do exactly that - shoehorn him into a role he's not comfortable with (left centre would be my suggestion) - or let him go for a swan song couple of years at Salford, for example.

Glad to hear it - I'm full of good ideas. Seriously through, I'll update them every 5 days or so. Threads like this generally end up with some decent debate.
07-23-2015, 08:53 AM
prick
07-23-2015, 04:49 PM (This post was last modified: 07-23-2015 04:51 PM by Genghis Von Battenberg.)
And now he's gone and retired. Sad

Also, why did you stop at Soliola, Fred?

"It's the worst signature I've seen. Its mix of homoerotic eulogising and pseudo-philosophical shite makes me sick. Since Hank has had this sig, SLF has gone down the toilet. I hate him. I can't stress that enough. I hope he gets banned." - Kevin Sinfield

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)