Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Removal of off topic discussion forum?
07-08-2014, 03:12 PM
Thoughts on the removal of the off topic section?

To try an encourage rugby league thread and not other, totally off topic talk, I've thought about removing the off topic section.

That way, basically anything that isnt rugby league related gets removed by the mods and keeps the forum focused on rugby league.

This could be both good and bad as people dont always want to post about one topic and enjoy a general chit-chat.

Thoughts?

Super League Rugby News | Extraordinary Rugby
Find all posts by this user
07-08-2014, 03:15 PM
RE: Removal of off topic discussion forum?
Just policing the RL threads would be better/easier and let there be off topic chatter IMO

Can see the point re the focus being RL discussion, maybe split the today's posts section so that RL is always on top when searching?
07-08-2014, 03:17 PM
I am torn. I think we should certainly be encouraging more rugby talk, and perhaps we need the mods to start regular debates and conversations to encourage that more. Some posters do seem to forget that we have rugby boards!

But if is nice to be able to have some general chit chat and debate about non rugby topics to.
07-08-2014, 03:18 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2014 03:20 PM by MOT.)
Most Replied To Threads

Bold is RL related

GET YOUR POST COUNT UP HERE: THIS COCAINE MAKES ME FEEL LIKE I'M ON THIS THREAD (26,580 replies)
Word association thread (25,142 replies)
Song Titles Game (7,454 replies)
Baker's Dozen (5,971 replies)
Ping pong (3,045 replies)
Knocking One Out (2,115 replies)
eh up....Ryan Bailey... (1,757 replies)
THE OLYMPIC THREAD! (1,639 replies)
M.I.A. (1,544 replies)
The slagging off thread (1,276 replies)
Three word story game (1,272 replies)
Irritations away from sport.... (1,126 replies)
This or That (1,033 replies)
Leeds Rhinos Season 2013 (904 replies)
Leeds rhinos squad 2014 (875 replies)

Most viewed

Petrol or Diesel.... (780,988 views)
eh up....Ryan Bailey... (393,208 views)
Word association thread (390,538 views)
Baker's Dozen (324,759 views)
Song Titles Game (278,125 views)
GET YOUR POST COUNT UP HERE: THIS COCAINE MAKES ME FEEL LIKE I'M ON THIS THREAD (246,295 views)
Irritations away from sport.... (147,761 views)
THE OLYMPIC THREAD! (116,030 views)
Ping pong (110,886 views)
Knocking One Out (102,674 views)
Leeds Rhinos Rumours Thread (93,147 views)
M.I.A. (88,372 views)
The Joke Thread (79,651 views)
OFFICIAL - 2012 Leeds Rhinos squad (79,553 views)
Warrington Wolves v Hull FC (79,491 views)

(07-08-2014 03:17 PM)Gateaux Wrote:  I am torn. I think we should certainly be encouraging more rugby talk, and perhaps we need the mods to start regular debates and conversations to encourage that more. Some posters do seem to forget that we have rugby boards!

But if is nice to be able to have some general chit chat and debate about non rugby topics to.

I agree Gat, when T-bone was around, we both posted news on the Hull FC thread and ANOther to encourage fans from other sites and discussion
07-08-2014, 03:23 PM
I made my thoughts known on our thread, but I'll articulate them here too, for everyone to see.

1) it acts as a safety valve for the inevitable patches of bullshit that crop up with some threads inasmuch as offering a place for people to air their grievances in a more a appropriate place that doesn't affect the discussion. Take the 'slagging off thread' of mine, for example.

2) it maintains the conversational, and (sometimes) friendly nature of SLF that shouldn't, in my estimation, be removed at all, for all the toxic crap that occurs (Gat). GYPCUH is a prime example of that.

3) it's still very useful for engaging in other debates. People seem to moan at Oli's anti-extremist threads for 'presenting a bad image for the forum', but look at how many replies he gets.

Overall, I'm not saying 'if it ain't broke don't fix it', but certainly if it needs tweaking, tweak.

So, yeah, to answer the original question:

"It's the worst signature I've seen. Its mix of homoerotic eulogising and pseudo-philosophical shite makes me sick. Since Hank has had this sig, SLF has gone down the toilet. I hate him. I can't stress that enough. I hope he gets banned." - Kevin Sinfield
07-08-2014, 03:23 PM
i vote to close all non rugby related threads and heavily police the rugby ones.
07-08-2014, 03:24 PM
I think that's the key, if people keep starting threads related to rugby, and not just the club they support, then hopefully it will encourage people who want to talk about rugby to post more. BUT for that to happen then the threads do need to be modded more for the silliness/off topic stuff which then needs to be moved to the off topics threads IMO.
07-08-2014, 03:26 PM
And it is being. As I say, I've split shitloads of threads and stuck them in the SOT.

"It's the worst signature I've seen. Its mix of homoerotic eulogising and pseudo-philosophical shite makes me sick. Since Hank has had this sig, SLF has gone down the toilet. I hate him. I can't stress that enough. I hope he gets banned." - Kevin Sinfield
07-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Modding the RL related content more heavily and leaving crap and other general discussion/debate to the off topic section would be my preference
07-08-2014, 03:29 PM
(07-08-2014 03:15 PM)MOT Wrote:  Maybe split the today's posts section so that RL is always on top when searching?

I like this idea, but instead of splitting the todays post. I've hidden the off-topic threads when regular members click on "today's posts". So it's focused on the rugby league chat. You can still view off-topic thread by clicking on the forum section.

I think this might be a more suitabke plan. So off-topic is still here, but for the majority of you who stick to looking at todays posts, it'll just show the rugby league stuff.

Thoughts? It's live now so let me know what you think/ if it's working.

Super League Rugby News | Extraordinary Rugby
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)