Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Saints 2015
07-10-2014, 02:05 PM
Signing rumours
speculation St Helens are interested in Wigan scrum-half Matty Smith.

Smith started his career as a junior at Saints but failed to make it into the first team and was forced to move on.

He also played for Widnes and Salford and is in his third full season at Wigan having won the Lance Todd Trophy at Wembley last year.

There was talk of a new contract for Smith at Wigan earlier on in the season and the Warriors are already losing his half-back partner Blake Green at the end of this campaign.

Green, who was linked with Salford and Saints at one stage, is heading home to Australia to join the Melbourne Storm in 2015.

Saints, meanwhile, have also been linked with the Widnes half-back Kevin Brown. Their interest and tracking of a proven playmaker centres on rumours of a possible early return to Australia at the end of the year for star signing Luke Walsh.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/s...6k.twitter
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2014, 02:08 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2014 02:12 PM by Genghis Von Battenberg.)
RE: Signing rumours
Jesus, again?! I think a key question is are we in for just a half, or a new #7? Does he play with Walsh, or instead of him? Walsh and Smith I'd like to see but a) I don't see us taking him on, and vice versa, for a third time, b) I don't see Wigan releasing him and c) I don't see Wigan negotiating his sale to us. Brown would be a decent move, at the moment, but that's only because he's in a good spell of form. Him coming in would definitely indicate a move for a proper stand-off, which throws Hohaia's future into question (again).

"It's the worst signature I've seen. Its mix of homoerotic eulogising and pseudo-philosophical shite makes me sick. Since Hank has had this sig, SLF has gone down the toilet. I hate him. I can't stress that enough. I hope he gets banned." - Kevin Sinfield
07-10-2014, 02:10 PM
Signing rumours
Yes I think brown would be a decent signing. Wouldn't be opposed to smith but really can't see it happening
07-10-2014, 02:14 PM
I think if it came down to a choice between Walsh and Smith, I'd pick Walsh, despite the injuries.

"It's the worst signature I've seen. Its mix of homoerotic eulogising and pseudo-philosophical shite makes me sick. Since Hank has had this sig, SLF has gone down the toilet. I hate him. I can't stress that enough. I hope he gets banned." - Kevin Sinfield
07-10-2014, 02:16 PM
Signing rumours
Undoubtedly I just wish we could keep him fitter
07-10-2014, 02:17 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2014 02:17 PM by MOT.)
Walsh is miles better

Smith still seems to have unrealised potential though
07-10-2014, 02:18 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2014 02:18 PM by Genghis Von Battenberg.)
I've got a horrible suspicion all these knocks are ostensible, and he's just holding out for an NRL club to 'save him'. Hope it isn't true.

(07-10-2014 02:17 PM)MOT Wrote:  Walsh is miles better

Smith would still be my England 7, I think.

07-10-2014, 02:20 PM
Signing rumours
(07-10-2014 02:17 PM)MOT Wrote:  Walsh is miles better

I agree. If Walsh was leaving though (which a lot seems to be suggesting, and I have the same concerns as GVB) then I wouldn't be upset for us to sign smith as a replacement
07-10-2014, 02:22 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2014 02:22 PM by MOT.)
You'd get more game time out of Smith

Like GVB says, unhappy players seem to get injured a lot more often and easily. It would be a shame if Walsh wanted to head back to the NRL because he's quality and I don't think we've seen him at 100% yet

Must get on with this bloody work now !
07-10-2014, 02:28 PM
By the time we hypothetically play Smith, he'd be 27, whereas Brown would be 30.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)