Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Tigers not near 2014 level yet
01-27-2015, 12:42 PM (This post was last modified: 01-27-2015 12:43 PM by camdentiger.)
Castleford Tigers head coach Daryl Powell has acknowledged his side need competitive games to regain the form shown in last season's Super League.
Tigers, who were Challenge Cup runners up and finished fourth in 2014, begin the new season at home to Wakefield.
Powell's side have won all four of their warm-up matches so far, including Sunday's 20-18 victory against Widnes.
"I don't think we're anywhere near where we were last year," Powell told BBC Radio Leeds.
"That's going to take a few competitive games.
"That's what pre-season games are for, to sharpen up what you're doing and hopefully the execution gets better."
With Daryl Clark departed for Warrington, Craig Huby now with Huddersfield Giants and Weller Hauraki at Salford, who also sold loanee half-back Marc Sneyd to Hull FC, there has been change at Castleford this winter.
Prop Grant Millington partnered Andy Lynch in the front row for the game against Widnes, bookending off-season hooker signing Scott Moore, while Luke Gale and Ben Roberts were handed opportunities in the halves following their arrivals.
Gale was heavily involved in Sunday's finale, finding another new signing Denny Solomona on the right with a well-weighted kick to set-up the match-winning score.
"It was a great play to finish, just how we reacted," added Powell.
"We were able and capable of pulling off something that you need to at times in the end. It was something we did a couple of times last season - particularly against Salford and Wigan.
"It was pleasing we were able to respond in that way."

Is this just some bluster from DP, or should us Tigers fans be really concerned?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-27-2015, 12:46 PM
RE: Tigers not near 2014 level yet
I think with expectations being raised dramatically last year and a number of key players leaving, DP is trying to lower expectations as much as possible before the season starts.
01-27-2015, 01:40 PM
That's what I think too, I don't think we'll make top four but should comfortably be in the top 7

We've a touch start so if we can weather that can get early points on the board that'll give us confidence to push on. If we can retain personnel for next year and recruit well then that's the proper start of our push IMO to being a regular top 4 side, especially with a new stadium (hopefully) on the way
01-27-2015, 01:58 PM
Top four would be a remarkable feat for Cas next year, equally if you ended up in the middle 8 I'd be surprised.

DP proved again last year what he can do with relatively limited resources.

Hopefully Cas are in a healthier position financially but before you look at being a regular top 4 contender I think they'll look to move to the new stadium.
01-27-2015, 02:32 PM
We are much better last year and this year compared to the year before when we went almost out of business. Sponsorship was up last year and it allowed us to spend to the cap for the first time and Jack not have to put his hand in his pocket at all! We're spent to the cap again for this year too I understand

The new Stadium will help us immensely with all the extra revenue streams we will have, plus not having to make big investments every year in fixing our current stadium
06-13-2015, 06:29 PM
With less than half a dozen games to go top 4 is a very good season so far. I think we'll need at least 2 more wins to keep us away from the silly games at the bottom.

Get carney, dorn back, new forward coming in & we'll have more strike for this business end. Not sure we'll worry any of the traditional top 4 but this could still be a semi-decent season for us.
06-14-2015, 03:53 AM
Good, hard working side are the old classy.
06-14-2015, 12:05 PM
Top 6 is definitely achievable now - hopefully the recent form will continue and improve and we can make more inroads on top 4. Happy we seem to be doing most of our recruitment now and getting the players in and that the additions will be minimal this year so we can really gel over the close season and be stronger for next year. Will be interesting to see who leaves
06-14-2015, 12:17 PM (This post was last modified: 06-14-2015 12:18 PM by jools.)
Seems to be a lot of in season announcements this year in SL.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)