Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Wire lol at the salary cap
07-26-2011, 07:29 PM
RE: Wire lol at the salary cap
I think the cap is necessary to keep the SL competitive.... otherwise the teams with big fan bases would simply hoover all the talent up with big money deals in a manner similar to Arsenal/Chelsea/Man Utd in the football world. End up with talented youngsters bench-warming for better money than they would get for playing at a "smaller" club. Not a good way to go.

Heart Team Fluff - Rhinos for Life Heart

Tatt's prediction league 2012 hubcap winner! Only a GF losers medal though
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-26-2011, 07:40 PM (This post was last modified: 07-26-2011 07:42 PM by CPWigan.)
(07-26-2011 07:20 PM)billie joe Wrote:  
(07-26-2011 06:44 PM)CPWigan Wrote:  Ratchford will be on a very good salary. Salford were prepared to pay him big money.

I actually don't agree with the salary cap personally because 1) it limits clubs but 2) clubs simply cheat and if/when discovered then it creates an almighty mess. For example, Wire being stripped of 2 CC victories. Wire just stick 2 fingers up to the RFL as far as the salary cap is concerned.

Ahh CP the communist cap as a few Wigan friends of mine call it.

I can understand people's frustration at the cap but it is absolutely necessary to keep the game from imploding especially in the current financial situation.

Yet clubs continue to implode under the franchise system which suggests it does not do what you or many people want it to.
(07-26-2011 07:29 PM)HailThePocketRocket Wrote:  I think the cap is necessary to keep the SL competitive.... otherwise the teams with big fan bases would simply hoover all the talent up with big money deals in a manner similar to Arsenal/Chelsea/Man Utd in the football world. End up with talented youngsters bench-warming for better money than they would get for playing at a "smaller" club. Not a good way to go.

Is SL competitive? Has it changed under a franchise system? Is the hope that we dumb RL down so far that anybody could win? If that is so why not have a single division as we did historically?

Last time I looked, the same teams were at the top and winning everything and the same teams were at the bottom season after season.
07-26-2011, 07:46 PM
Not denying this CP but if there was no cap it would probably be a lot worse and God forbid pro RL would not exist IMO.

I have to say CP it wasn't so long ago that your club nearly went under until a certain Mr Whelan bought your club.
07-26-2011, 07:55 PM
Really- the same teams are winning everything than before the cap? do you not think that wigans fairly recent changes in fortune(wembley's changed a bit you know) have anything to do with not having more cash than anyone else to wave at players? Or is it just a coincidence that apart from one the trophies dried up at a similar time to when the cap was introduced?
07-26-2011, 08:02 PM
(07-26-2011 07:46 PM)billie joe Wrote:  Not denying this CP but if there was no cap it would probably be a lot worse and God forbid pro RL would not exist IMO.

I have to say CP it wasn't so long ago that your club nearly went under until a certain Mr Whelan bought your club.

Not really. When Whelan decided to sell up there were several would be owners eager to take over. Clubs rarely go out of existence. Wakefield exemplify that this season.

I see no difference pre franchise and post franchise re clubs having financial difficulties

The financial argument is a red herring

St Helens RLFC were the poor relation in their own town and pre WWII routinely had financial issues, the threat of closure repeatedly staved off by gate receipts from Wigan and St Helens Recs games.

I can remember Evil ML Wigan keeping Widnes and St Helens financially viable by paying big transfer fees out to buy players from them in the 80's/90's

Finance is always an issue in sport. It always will be.
07-26-2011, 08:09 PM (This post was last modified: 07-26-2011 08:11 PM by CPWigan.)
(07-26-2011 07:55 PM)jools Wrote:  Really- the same teams are winning everything than before the cap? do you not think that wigans fairly recent changes in fortune(wembley's changed a bit you know) have anything to do with not having more cash than anyone else to wave at players? Or is it just a coincidence that apart from one the trophies dried up at a similar time to when the cap was introduced?

No but if you like to believe that fairytale and it makes you feel better then not a problem. Wigan essentially lost their way owing to a combination of the SL War, loss of players to Rugby Union and a power struggle for ownership of the club which led to a lack of investment in youth development and the current playing squad. Nevertheless, Wigan still maintained a place as a top 4 club bar 2 seasons which begs the questions, what the heck were the rest of RL doing when a club with so many problems could still maintain its top 4 status. Hence, you now have the truth but I daresay your fairytale makes you slep better at night.

(07-26-2011 08:06 PM)wolfie Wrote:  Made up with the ratchford signing

Where will he play Wolfie? If he goes to 6 where does that leave the GB Academy Stand Off if he goes to centre where does that leave Evans? or Bridge/Atkins?
07-26-2011, 08:14 PM (This post was last modified: 07-26-2011 08:18 PM by jools.)
When does briers retire..
Exactky cp!! the loss of players to union, youth players etc was because Wigan could no longer afford to pay huge sums of money to pay the wages due to cap restrictions- if the cap hadn't been brought in the players wouldn't have moved on elsewhere for more money...
07-26-2011, 08:43 PM

wany warrinton at it again pocing salford playes half way through te seson nothing sould happen till the player is out of contrect at end of seson the rfl souuld stop this
07-26-2011, 08:46 PM
(07-26-2011 08:43 PM)johney16 Wrote:  

wany warrinton at it again pocing salford playes half way through te seson nothing sould happen till the player is out of contrect at end of seson the rfl souuld stop this

education system at its finest....lol
07-26-2011, 08:48 PM
(07-26-2011 08:14 PM)jools Wrote:  When does briers retire..
Exactky cp!! the loss of players to union, youth players etc was because Wigan could no longer afford to pay huge sums of money to pay the wages due to cap restrictions- if the cap hadn't been brought in the players wouldn't have moved on elsewhere for more money...

You are not reading what people type. Forget the cap. If it had existed or not, Wigan would have been in exactly the same situation. Players went back to Union because Union turned pro NOT because Wigan could not afford them. Wigan was certainly stretched by the SL War and had been leaking quality players ever since John Monie left for the Aukland Warriors. However, Wigan had a fantastic youth set up and kept replacing such players. The death of Jack Hilton did not help on top of losing Lindsay and eventually Rathbone. Financially, the biggest drain was the cost of a new stand. Unfortunately, the club lost all focus as Jack Robinson and Dave Whelan waged a personal war for control of the club. The playing side became seemingly irrelevant and nearly decades of hard work was destroyed in a very short time. Thankfully, Wigan will always support RL as a town and will always produce RL players which means the damage can slowly be rectified as it has been in the last 2 years.

The salary cap had nothing to do with Wigan's fortunes. We actually operated above the cap as allowed to do so by the RFL.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)