Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Wire - Big team??
12-19-2011, 12:46 PM
RE: Wire - Big team??
(12-18-2011 09:20 AM)Mary Hinge Wrote:  
(12-17-2011 04:57 PM)Ron Wrote:  Only team in SL that are big is Wigan...... and they rent a ground from the footy team.

Not strictly true. Both the rugby and football clubs have long leases on the Stadium from Whelco, a company owned by Dave Whelan. As he is also the owner of the football club, the football fans mistakenly refer to us as lodgers.

Whelan is desperate to offload the football club and retire to his estate in Barbados but I imagine he will hang on to the cash cow that is Whelco, collecting rents from both clubs, shops etc. and the profits from refreshment sales.

Seems the footy fans aren't mistaken about anything.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-19-2011, 01:25 PM
(12-19-2011 12:19 PM)wolfie Wrote:  They couldnt finance the deal, that was my point

The financing partly came from selling a lot of shirts with the name "Johns" on the back. It wasn't because they had lots of spare cash lying about, clever marketing yes but big club attraction is a doubt.
12-19-2011, 02:13 PM
A bit like when they attracted Wally Lewis.......who at the time was the best player alive........oh no.......wrong club...........
12-19-2011, 02:28 PM
"ahh maybe we haven't won the league, but we did score a lot of tries last year!"

I usually don’t like thinking about the future, I mean let’s face it, you can’t predict what’s going to happen, but sometimes the thing you didn’t expect is the thing you wanted after all. So maybe the best thing to do is to stop trying to figure out where you’re going, and just enjoy where you’re at.
12-19-2011, 02:32 PM
(12-19-2011 02:28 PM)bluenosewarrior Wrote:  "ahh maybe we haven't won the league, but we did score a lot of tries last year!"

mm we did win the league.
12-19-2011, 02:33 PM
2011 super league champions....leeds rhinos...ahem

"He's the best coach I've had.His mix of man-management and his game plan is second to none.Since Brian has been in charge,we've been in every final so far.I love playing for him.I can't praise him enough,I've so much respect for him." Kevin Sinfield
12-19-2011, 02:39 PM
[Image: 4f61f.png]
12-19-2011, 02:41 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_le...606230.stm

"He's the best coach I've had.His mix of man-management and his game plan is second to none.Since Brian has been in charge,we've been in every final so far.I love playing for him.I can't praise him enough,I've so much respect for him." Kevin Sinfield
12-19-2011, 02:42 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_le...582619.stm
12-19-2011, 02:45 PM
http://www.superleague.co.uk/page/winners/345

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)