Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Wire - Big team??
12-16-2011, 09:54 PM
RE: Wire - Big team??
(12-16-2011 09:46 PM)westy_warrior Wrote:  It was good for a young lad but I wouldnt want any team dominating like that again,

I stopped going to matches in the early 90s. It had become just a matter of how many we were gonna win by. Excitement had gone!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-16-2011, 10:02 PM
happy days they where, loved going to CP as a young lad, it had sense of history, i cant imagine being brought into RL in the surroundings of these modern, boring, souless stadiums of today. watching them run out, all passing the balls to each other to the "circus music", taking my little step to stand on or going 4 hours early to sit on the wall.
12-16-2011, 11:44 PM
forest have never been and will never be a big club.

not even forest fans would claim that
12-17-2011, 10:01 AM
wigans dominance did start to get boring.

but the levels it rose the sport to in terms of professionalism should be appreciated.

clubs realized that the only way to try and compete was to raise the bar in their own house.

i think it was leeds who were next to go full time professional and other clubs soon followed.

ps i think trying to decide how to define a big club is a tough call, do you base it on honours? fan base? financial power?

ground size?

their are a very few clubs who meet all these criteria so do you exclude the rest ?
12-17-2011, 10:46 AM
nowt wrong with not being a big club. its merely a label which confers few benefits
12-17-2011, 04:54 PM
Andrew Johns proved that money talks and didn't someone say his dad was a Wire fan? He didn't go because he thought Warrington were big.
12-17-2011, 04:57 PM
Only team in SL that are big is Wigan...... and they rent a ground from the footy team.
12-18-2011, 09:20 AM
(12-17-2011 04:57 PM)Ron Wrote:  Only team in SL that are big is Wigan...... and they rent a ground from the footy team.

Not strictly true. Both the rugby and football clubs have long leases on the Stadium from Whelco, a company owned by Dave Whelan. As he is also the owner of the football club, the football fans mistakenly refer to us as lodgers.

Whelan is desperate to offload the football club and retire to his estate in Barbados but I imagine he will hang on to the cash cow that is Whelco, collecting rents from both clubs, shops etc. and the profits from refreshment sales.
12-18-2011, 12:22 PM
the ground is now ownedby wigan Athletic, he gave them the ground last year, in an attempt to to make the club look more appealing to a buyer no doubt
12-18-2011, 03:12 PM
(12-18-2011 02:08 AM)wolfie Wrote:  The point being, he wouldnt have gone to cru, wakey, cas for example

Cru were not in Super League back then and I reckon if they'd thrown money at him he would have gone to any club in the play off positions. It was a few games at the end of the season with a chance to win something, which he didn't do back home.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)