Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So.... Kallum Watkins is the new skipper.
01-18-2018, 05:12 PM
So.... Kallum Watkins is the new skipper.
Bit of a suprise choice for me.

He has a lot of experience but has never really come across as a natural leader. Though it was JJB or Stevie Ward tbh.

Thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-18-2018, 11:18 PM
RE: So.... Kallum Watkins is the new skipper.
(01-18-2018 05:12 PM)drsrhino Wrote:  Bit of a suprise choice for me.

He has a lot of experience but has never really come across as a natural leader. Though it was JJB or Stevie Ward tbh.

Thoughts?
Shame it wasn't ward though nasty keep him away from nrl for a bit

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

once a rhino always a rhino
01-19-2018, 12:26 PM
I was as surprised as anyone with Kallum being named as the Rhinos captain.
However, the coaching staff who are with the players daily must know who the natural leaders are .......... its difficult to assess from the grandstand on match days. Kallum has a lot of experience and did not let anyone down in the World Cup. And he is also on the field for 80 minutes as distinct from so many of the forwards. Lets hope it works out for Kallum and the club and hope their selection proves a real success.
As for forecasting the Rhinos performance in 2018, I have as much idea as the rest.........none really. We hope the changes made are successful and the team performs well from day 1. I am excited at the additional hooker who will take pressure off Parcell. If I was pushed to forecast who will be winning trophies in 2018 I would probably go towards Saints who improved so much in the latter stages last year and nearly made Old Trafford and of course Cas. No Hardaker true, but the patterns and style they played in 2017 will not change drastically and the ethos in the team is to succeed. As has been said on so many occasions you often need to lose a GF before you win one.
As for Wigan I am unsure. They do provide so many young talented three quarters who understand their style of play so well. So much revolves around Lockers who is no spring chicken and the halves. If they can create a good partnership at half back they will always be dangerous. I just sense they need a controlling scrum half who can take the team around the pitch and create room for Williams magic. Not sure if they have that player in their talented squad. Time will tell.
Enjoy the season and lets hope it fun![/i]
01-19-2018, 02:47 PM
agree with that mike.

personally i thought it would be ward, but im happy with it being watkins also. after what hes been through the last few years its good to see him as the captain

"He's the best coach I've had.His mix of man-management and his game plan is second to none.Since Brian has been in charge,we've been in every final so far.I love playing for him.I can't praise him enough,I've so much respect for him." Kevin Sinfield
01-20-2018, 02:18 PM
is a bit of adversity a reason for making someone captain though?/
01-21-2018, 01:18 PM
Time will tell but for me, Watkins has been in far from his best form for a number of seasons (world cup aside).

Not really a great deal of candidates to choose from
01-22-2018, 10:44 AM
Thought you lame fuckers had fucked off??????.........
01-22-2018, 12:31 PM
(01-21-2018 01:18 PM)MOT Wrote:  Time will tell but for me, Watkins has been in far from his best form for a number of seasons (world cup aside).

hes criminally under used thats why....

"He's the best coach I've had.His mix of man-management and his game plan is second to none.Since Brian has been in charge,we've been in every final so far.I love playing for him.I can't praise him enough,I've so much respect for him." Kevin Sinfield
01-22-2018, 03:34 PM (This post was last modified: 01-22-2018 03:42 PM by Rhinomike1958.)
(01-20-2018 02:18 PM)Cheese Wrote:  is a bit of adversity a reason for making someone captain though?/

What adversity Cheese?

(01-22-2018 12:31 PM)chesterhino Wrote:  
(01-21-2018 01:18 PM)MOT Wrote:  Time will tell but for me, Watkins has been in far from his best form for a number of seasons (world cup aside).

hes criminally under used thats why....

Quality centres tend to create their own space and cause havoc for the defence by feeding their winger or using them as a foil to go forward. Sometimes rather than blaming the teams tactics, players need to take greater responsibility. However, as I think you are suggesting, with the amount of one man rugby we do play at times, the priority is to advance to the half way line and kick on the 5th tackle. Can be effective if the opposition make mistakes, but hardly enthralling. Let's hope for a more expansive style this year once the pitches dry up. Fingers crossed!
01-22-2018, 05:49 PM
adversity

ədˈvəːsɪti/Submit
noun
a difficult or unpleasant situation.
"resilience in the face of adversity"
synonyms: misfortune, ill luck, bad luck, trouble, difficulty, hardship, distress, disaster, misadventure, suffering, affliction, sorrow, misery, heartbreak, heartache, wretchedness, tribulation, woe, pain, trauma, torment, torture; More

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)