Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Jon Wilkin: None of My Business
04-25-2012, 05:00 PM
Jon Wilkin - Code 13 article

I don't know if anyone saw this but Jon Wilkin wrote an article 2 weeks ago. He is clearly still very passionate about the stability of the sport.

It is well worth reading.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-25-2012, 05:15 PM
He makes some good points, shame he didn't expand a bit more of how he would like to see the sharing of resources working.

Gateaux is running the Manchester 10k for asthma UK - please sponsor me!
Find all posts by this user
04-25-2012, 05:23 PM
RE: Jon Wilkin: None of My Business
At the bottom he says he hasn't a clue haha!!

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-25-2012, 10:44 PM
did he actually say anything in that article??

anything of note??

[Image: 001cheesebanner.gif]
04-26-2012, 07:07 AM
Makes a change from his usual dummy spitting article anyway!

Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible person... me.
04-26-2012, 12:16 PM
(04-25-2012 05:00 PM)HKR AWAY DAYS Wrote:  
Jon Wilkin - Code 13 article

I don't know if anyone saw this but Jon Wilkin wrote an article 2 weeks ago. He is clearly still very passionate about the stability of the sport.

It is well worth reading.

Its certainly very encouraging to read of such a long servant within our great game remaining so passionate regarding its long term stability. I thought the following extract very thought provoking, albeit the article did not really offer solutions to the perceived problem:
"but for me the biggest issue is this: we have too many separate bodies or clubs whether that be Super League, Championship or the amateur leagues. We spread our resources as a game way too thin. We don’t have the resources in personnel or pounds within the game to support the number of separate clubs and ultimately the finite resource of coins and notes is the one thing that seriously threatens our game today more than ever."
Such problems of spreading resources too thinly may only be resolved by reducing the number of teams within each of the leagues, while also increasing the number of times, respective clubs play each other each season. While such a model may have financial advantage it may also lead to 'same old' too often. Such options have been discussed previously within other threads, but to be honest playing the same teams more than twice a season, excepting the play-offs, cup etc., would not enhance the demand for the sport in the longer term imo.
04-26-2012, 12:22 PM
I think he talks a lot of sense there, saying what I and a lot of us have been thinking for a long time. Shame is, as eluded to, he can offer no ultimate solution; neither in ideas, nor in practice.

[Image: INt0a.gif]
04-26-2012, 12:29 PM
(04-26-2012 12:23 PM)wolfie Wrote:  It would have been better should he offer a solution, there was nothing new in there as there wasnt in the other article on another thread, we "know" what the problems are, nobody can or is willing to put forward a viable solution

I believe 'financial viable' solutions do exist, its just those options do not find favor amongst the wider fan base, clubs nor the traditionalists. Breaking long held traditions and rivalries is far from easy and hearbreaking to many.
04-26-2012, 12:49 PM
(04-26-2012 12:37 PM)wolfie Wrote:  Such as? I am hearing rumours that the moran brothers want to make wire a global name, brand the name in areas where there is no interest, may be a fantastic idea if they can pull it off but it would be better, for me, if it was the game being branded as a whole. There are too many gaps from club to club, even with the cap

I was really alluding to previous proposals which were were never progressed, re ground sharing, club-mergers, reduction in the number of clubs within each league, etc. etc. Nothing really new, just potentially viable solutions which appear to have been discarded......for many different reasons. The rumour you refer to does appear an exciting concept, albeit may only have limited benefits if as you say ...the game as a whole is not given the branding and publicity it requires.
04-26-2012, 04:57 PM
(04-26-2012 01:20 PM)wolfie Wrote:  It does, if marketed properly and in simon, we have someone who knows exactly how to market a product.

I'm aware Simon Moran is one of the Wire's club Directors. Do you know much about his background and his other commercial interests?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)