Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joel Monaghan in Superleague
12-26-2010, 11:04 PM
Joel Monaghan in Superleague
I'm not personally going to get in to the ins and outs of if people think he should be allowed in to SL (small error of judgement for me) but do people think he'll settle down ?

He has played both SOO and internationally so there is no doubting how good he is but is his head in the game ?

Seeing him and the way he has been hounded (sorry not intended) out of Australia, will he have the mental strength to cope and will he be an able replacement for Hicks ?

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. But not in that order.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-27-2010, 01:05 AM
RE: Joel Monaghan in Superleague
(12-26-2010 11:04 PM)Yed (yes that one) Wrote:  I'm not personally going to get in to the ins and outs of if people think he should be allowed in to SL (small error of judgement for me) but do people think he'll settle down ?

He has played both SOO and internationally so there is no doubting how good he is but is his head in the game ?

Seeing him and the way he has been hounded (sorry not intended) out of Australia, will he have the mental strength to cope and will he be an able replacement for Hicks ?

Hicks IMO did a fine job for Wire. I also think even Wire fans acknowledge that his departure was totally underhand and that Wire have broken every rule in the book with a large cheque no doubt appearing in an account belonging to him from Simon Moran. How on earth the RFL pretend otherwise beggars belief.

However, Hick did a fine job for Wire ON THE WING. Monaghan is ideally a centre. A position Wire have covered with King, Atkins and Bridge and a fantastic young Welsh prospect. Monaghan is he that good? Personally last season I saw little that was very good from him and it may be a case of signing somebody whose best days irrespective of age are behind him. He still has something to offer but Hicks maybe had more.

RE; what he did. A scumbag lowlife. Should SL clubs have signed him? No IMO
12-29-2010, 06:39 PM
Small error of judgement for me too that was taken well out of context by the Australian media.

I don't think he'll settle straight away but in 2012 he will, most Australians need a year to climatise with the SL some even longer and some go back home. Having his brother here will definitely[/align] help him and I'm sure he'll prove his worth but maybe not this year.
12-30-2010, 04:42 PM
Rugby lads night out, should he be punished for a silly and probably drunken mistake. NO!! I am sure we have all done things we regret when under the influence, just fortunately most of us are not in the public eye.

If he turns out to be as good as his brother what a signing he will be, although it does often take a player from Oz time to settle in. I am sure he will also be well aware he will get lots of stick from oppostion fans, but hopefully he will turn that into a positive and show exactly what he is made of. C'MON JOEL
12-30-2010, 09:06 PM
Smile Small error of judgement and lest anybody offer this nonsense too much to drink / I did not know what I was doing POPPYCOCK Your memory is never affected by drink, you know exactly what you are doing, you just have less self control and perhaps behave in a more true manner.

Personally I feel far more sorry for Josh Dugan's dog and I wonder why another teammate would record it / distribute it knowing the implications. Lot of pressure on Joel given how good Hicks was for the Wire and the stupidity of Tony Smith re Away fans. Any ridicule that comes his way is fully deserved.
12-31-2010, 11:39 AM
I did not say anywhere in my post about the memory being affected, but when under the influence you do things without thinking, you don't think of consequences etc.

Anyway if he had signed for Wigan I am sure you would be looking at it differently, just sounds like sour grapes to me....get over yourself and move on.
12-31-2010, 12:25 PM
(12-31-2010 11:39 AM)Wolfette Wrote:  I did not say anywhere in my post about the memory being affected, but when under the influence you do things without thinking, you don't think of consequences etc.

Anyway if he had signed for Wigan I am sure you would be looking at it differently, just sounds like sour grapes to me....get over yourself and move on.

Sour grapes Big Grin

Not a big fan of Joel the player, the man I do not think we should have let him in SL. Hicks did a fine job. I think Wire have made a bad call. It is an opinion. Everybody / anybody is entitled to one. Free world Wink
01-05-2011, 10:20 AM
Personally, i think Tony Smith is being abit rediculous saying that clubs should be fined for fans giving Joel stick, it happens in every sport, look at John Terry for instance, he STILL get's booed to this day for what happened between him and Wayne Bridge's wife. IMO, Smith needs to realise that Joel IS going to get stick, but it won't be for as long as the booing with Terry.
01-05-2011, 06:58 PM
I think he knows he wil get stick, for how long depends on how he deals with it.
If he either ignores it or laughs it off, it will go away fairly quickly, if he or Smith make a song and dance about it, it will last forever.

Wigan 'til I die!
01-05-2011, 07:51 PM
Pleased I dont support Warrington. What a great example of how to bring shame and disgrace to your club.

I thought Rugby League was supposed to be a family sport? How can you explain to children what all of the adult retoric is about?

How can you even try and justify his actions?

Why is Rugby League sometimes held in such poor esteem, well by signings like this is a starter.

They say that no publicity is bad publicity, well they got that one wrong in this case, he deserves all he gets and more.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)